Saturday, October 08, 2005

Ramadan

After 6 months of not showing up, due to lack of time, to the cubicle of a mosque (its actually a rented 3 gigantic bedroom house) in our little suburban town with a muslim community of approx less than a 100 people, I decided to accompany my parents, in order to escape hearing the how-all-muslims-should-stick-togather lecture. The mosque was just the way I left it half an year ago. Same tiny parking lot that is always short of space, same little building whose every inch recieves 200 V of lights, same old affable faces that know you by name, same little brats running back and forth the rooms as if it were a playground. I had to be extra careful not to accidently step on some little foot or worse, a head. My hand ached after going around the entire room, shaking hands with every single of those aunties, with a smile - or else they'd think you're some spoiled rude brat, and would enlighten others around the community with the same opinion in less than 24 hours. When the time came for iftaar, I was astonished to most of the ladies still looking so good and fresh while thier children looked as if they would collapse from starvation (I really need to find out what kind of makeup they use).

Despite the small community of muslims, our little mosque is representative of the entire muslim population: Pakistanis, arabics, iranians, asian, africans and even americans/europeans - all so immersed in prayers and able to contribute their time to the mosque despite their hectic schedules. Every time I go to the mosque I learn something new that inspires me for e.g. today I learned about a lady who is so adamant about fasting despite being severly diabetic and hypertensive and on the verge of passing out at the end of the day.I felt ashamed at the end for not spending much time there after a powerful commentary by the imam, I still feel disconcerted about not being able to devote as much time to the quran and getting out of the habbit of praying namaz 5 times .... a week; I am left with a powerful urge to do something worthwhile that would benefit others for a change.

Ramadan is the time when we realize how selfish and so wrapped up in ourselves we've been, so ignorant and apathetic to the world around us, it gives us a chance to get better recount and correct our flaws, helps us build patience that would last atleast most of the year(depending on how strictly you adhered to fasting) and reminds us of still all those impoverished hungry people around the world that have barely anything nutritious to eat or sanitary to drink, reminds us that how better off we are than millions, yet not as grateful. All this we forget again pretty soon - lost in worldly pleasures- again to be reminded same time around, an year or -for some- years later.


Sui Generis at 11:06 PM

Ciao!


About moi

I am loud and obnoxious around those who know me. My friends call me "dangerously" positive as I am usually not able to see the "negative" side of things. Ever. I like to laugh and live life to the fullest and don't understand people who can't. I have lived all over the world. My Pakistani background, my American accent, my Irish hospitality and my Iranian appetite all blend pretty well to shape who I am. I cant help but notice that how similar I am to everybody else, yet how absolutely SuiGeneris.

The Say of the Day

Make Chai, Not War.

In My Ipod..

Lifehouse, Red Hot chilli Peppers, Coldplay, Greenday, Snow Patrol, Sting, Maroon5, Keane, Athlete, Weezer, Yellowcard, Enya, Jet, Foo Fighters, Oasis, Killers, Good Charlotte, Bjork, Linkin Park, Counting Crows, Muse, Incubus, Duran Duran, The Verves, Bryan Adams, All-American Rejects, Strings, Fuzon, Vital Signs, Arash (so many more to add.. )

Currently Reading/Read..

Cat's Cradle - Kurt Vonnegut
A Tale of Two Cities - Dickens
Karography - Kamila Shamsie
A Confederacy of Dunces - John K. Toole
Damien - Herman Hesse Madame Bovary - Gustav Flaubert

Fav Authors

Kurt Vonnegut, James Joyce, Leo Tolstoy, Dan Brown, H.L.Mencken, Dickens, Jane Austen, Bronte, J.K. Rowling

Speak up!

 

Omnium-Gatherum

The Blogship

History

Archieves

Gracias!

Previous • Next
Random • List All
• Join •
CrickRock Webrings